Sunday, October 25, 2009

Chaperoning a youth dance

What has changed: I was nominated modesty monitor by the other chaperones (I can’t say I enjoyed having to tell perfect strangers they forgot to get fully dressed for the night).

What hasn’t changed: I nominate Reed as talk-to-the-DJ-man. We had to get him to play “Single Ladies,” so we could watch Mr. Classically-Trained do his Beyonce impression. It did not disappoint.

What has changed: I am now almost thirty and no matter what I do I look like a nerd when I try to bust a move.

What hasn’t changed: I don’t care if I people think I am a nerd when I try to bust a move.

What has changed: When a girls choice dance comes along all the boys that want to be asked raise their hand. Seriously they raise their hand and wait their thinking, “Pick me! Pick me!” It cracked me up.

What hasn’t changed (thank goodness): There are really great youth out there. One boy had his hand up for almost half the song just walking around hoping, hoping, hoping to be asked. I was discussing with Reed if in the dark maybe he wouldn’t realize that I was an old chaperone, and if I should ask him to dance. We decided being asked to dance by an old frumpy lady would be worse than not being asked at all, and I was about to go recruit a girl to make his day. And then this super, super cute girl (who probably had all the boys in the place hoping she would ask them) did it all on her own. I am sure that young man was on cloud nine for the rest of the night.

What has changed: I got to take a hot hot date with me to the dance and I didn’t have to share him with anyone (Ahem. Spring Fling 2001).

What hasn’t changed: My Reed is darling, darling and there is nothing I want more than to be by his side all the time.

5 comments:

The Bailey's said...

Jen- I always love your posts....and have realized that you are hilarious, you are so FUNNY!!! Maybe when we are together if I didnt talk..talk..talk...I would have picked that up sooner! Sorry! Anyways I also enjoy how cute you and Reed are together!

The Dixon Family said...

One.of.the.best.blogs.ever.

No, seriously.

I loved every word.

And those dances! Oh those dances! They really are something magical, right?

I'm so glad you got to see the Beyonce kid. Made my night.

Amy said...

what hasn't changed: your great sense of humor! loved it.

Benny Boo and Linsey Lou said...

Hilarious! And that is one of the best-ever episodes of seinfeld cited, right there. I love the "little kicks"!

AnnGee said...

haha jen! you make me laugh! even if you dance a bit different i still love it haha!