Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I really don’t know how in the world this ever happened, but I have two four year olds in my house these days. Oh how I love them, and oh how a part of me really hates that they are growing so quickly. On Lucas’ final day as a three year old he climbed in my lap and fell asleep in my arms. I think he must have known I was missing my little babies. Thank you Luke for the parting gift [thought isn’t in the new cool thing for four-years olds to take a nap in their mom’s arms every afternoon?].

So in honor of Luke and Lilly’s birthday I give you a few things about each of them that remind me that they are not my little babies anymore, but, in fact, thriving preschoolers with growing personalities:

Mr. Luke:

1. He loves to eat with big utensils. And I mean big. One morning when he was eating some yogurt he started crying that his mouth was really hurting. Since he had split his lip the night before I got all concerned until I saw the shovel his was trying to fit down his trap. Once we got rid of the elephant sized utensil, pain went away immediately.
2. He ALWAYS wears his underwear backwards. I am hoping it is not because he likes the feeling of the self imposed weggie, but because he has to be able to see the character on his little briefs. Heaven forbid that child would have to spin his neck around to make sure buzz or lightning mcqueen was still along for the ride.
3. He prays EVERY day for people hurt in the earthquake in Haiti. When the rest of us have forgotten about the tragedy he is still worried about what happened.
4. He has a thing for maps. Consulting the map has recently become his favorite part about going to the zoo, which is a pretty big deal considering his thing for animals. I drew each of them a treasure map to help them locate their birthday presents hidden around our house. After Luke had found his gifts, Lilly handed her map (and the gift finding responsibilities) to him, after barely even looking at it. Take it away, map guy.
5. He critically points out every motorcyclist around town who doesn’t wear a helmet. I’m pretty sure he is trying to persuade me he is safety conscious enough to own a motorcycle himself.
6. Loves to do the dishes and can do them from start to finish, no problem.
7. His destructive curiosity hasn’t changed much, but his strength has, making the consequences of the aforementioned skill all the worse.
8. He is very particular about what he wears. Collared shirts are especially out according to Luke’s style guide. Wearing the same glow in the dark shirt for five days straight, very, very in.

My lovely girl, Lilly:


1. She can almost always be found with a baby of her own at her hip.
2. She is a little fashionista: She notices and loves to talk all about who was wearing what accessories, shoes, etc. Most of the time I have to just nod in agreement when I have no idea if sister so-in-so made a good choice pairing that belt with that shirt.
3. She has been known on occasion to pick out what I wear. No joke.
4. She loves to be twins with me. One day we accidentally both had on a pink top with black capris/skirt and she LOVED it. Luckily she doesn’t push for that every day. But matching lip gloss, finger nail polish, and shoes are an everyday around here.
5. Like Lucas, Lilly prays valiantly for everyone who got hurt in Haiti. She also never forgets and her new niece Claire.
6. Loves music and loves to sing.
7. Remembers on her own to take her scriptures to church each week.
8. Tries on all her clothes every single day.
9. Loves to check in when she is playing in another room from me/Reed by yelling, “I love you Mom/Dad!!!!!”

6 comments:

Alisha Wilkins said...

HI! You seriously had me laughing so hard on this post! The underwear backwards and the matching belt comment seriously had me laughing so hard I almost cried!
You have some major cuties on your hands!

Katie Bell said...

I went to the splash park the other day, why weren't you there? Oh, that's right, you're a big bum-hole and moved away...

Madelyn said...

That is such a cute post! I can't believe they are 4! I'm glad they always remember Claire :) We can't wait to see you guys.

Devony said...

What sweet beautiful babies. I loved this post. Such darling kiddos you have! Hope you're enjoying AZ!

Amy said...

Very cute kids.

I had to smile because Dante will not wear collared plaid shirts at all. So collars must be out...wish I'd gotten the memo before purchasing. :)

Emily said...

I just love reading your blog! I need to check back in more often! I hope we get to see you in August! If not, I'm definitely sending hugs with an aunt or uncle!