Sunday, September 14, 2008

And now here's the rest of the story...

WARNING: I guess I'm not a very concise storyteller because this is a long post. Read at your own risk....


So I thought I would tell the whole story of how our family got the point where we are getting a dog, mostly because I feel like a mother who has been manipulated by her ten-year-old son into having all sorts of creatures roam the house (Reed did that to his Mom a number of times growing up. He even convinced her to let him have a pet rat).

Sometime around Reed's last year of law school he started hounding me about getting a dog. I don't think he really wanted a dog then (our life was totally crazy, two newborns and both of us somehow trying to finish grad school) , but I think he knew if he started asking early I would eventually wear down and say yes. And he was right. I said something very stupid then thinking I was putting an end to the discussion, "We can't get a dog, you don't have a real job and we are going to be moving in a few months." However, what Reed heard me say was, "As soon as you are done with school and get a job then we can get a dog." Well, a year ago Reed was finished with school and got himself a job (hooray!). The topic came up again and this time I had a easy out, "Our landlord won’t allow it." And what did Reed hear, "as soon as we don't have a landlord, then we can get a dog."

Well, this summer when we bought our house the topic appeared once again. Reed was talking seriously about getting a german sheppard, until at some point I said, "I just don't think I can take care of an animal child this fall.”

That was about a month ago and somehow we now have a dog being shipped to us from Virginia tomorrow. So how did this happen? Reed gave up on a logical approach to convincing me to get a dog and started appealing to my emotions (oh yaah, he’s smart). We've had a dog before named Cyrus who Reed knew I really loved. One day he just started talking a lot about Cyrus. He may have even broke down and used the word cute in describing him.

Somewhere in there I saw this old picture of Cyrus as a puppy,



and that was the end of me. When Reed threw it out there that just maybe we could get another red bone coon hound (if I really, really wanted it) my melting heart just couldn't say no. At that point he immediate told Luke and Lilly that we were getting the dog, so there was no way I could go back on my word. Those two are SOOOO excited to have a dog (they have talked about it non-stop ever since), I just can't say no.

So tomorrow the fun begins.

And if Luke and Lilly ever read this post when they are older... No, you cannot have a pet rat.

4 comments:

KristiKay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KristiKay said...

Jen you are too, too cute! I love it! If you can last through the potty training, I think you'll survive it. Dogs really can be fun. Good luck, mi amiga! Oh, and you are a good story-teller...I was enthralled! :)

Jenni said...

So are you getting a hound then? I love the picture of your dog growing up. The wrinkles are so cute. Good luck! I'm excited for you guys.

Amy said...

It all is suddenly so clear. Love the story!