Sunday, October 19, 2008

Head for the Hills!

On Saturday we decided to go exploring in the hills above Boulder. It was supposed to be a fun family day, but it really ended up being a mess. We took our dog with us and she was car sick the whole way up. Every ten to fifteen minutes we had to stop to clean up her vomit. The smell and the stops were miserable for everyone and it made it takes us forever to get where we were going. Lilly feel asleep in the car along the way, but Lucas didn't which meant he was super grumpy for the entire outing. And I mean really grumpy. Everything put him on the edge of an emotional breakdown. And last of all Lilly is potty training, so it wasn't a very good idea to go in the first place. Lilly was asleep when we made our last stop in civilization, so I didn't even think of having her try to use the toilet. And then when we were just about to where we were going to stop she told me she had to go. I tried to convince he that a rock on the side trail was a really cool toilet, but she wouldn't fall for it. About an hour later we finally did find an outhouse (I was totally shocked that she didn't have an accident in the time we waited), and I think her and I spent more time in there then we did playing in the forest. I avoid outhouses like the plague, so to kneel down in front of the thrown with a two year old who wanted to touch everything in sight was not really how I wanted to spend my Saturday.

Anyways, there were a few moments of fun that I caught on camera. And lets face it, somehow all the things that went wrong are our best memories of the adventure.


Lilly saw a guy using a walking stick, and immediately had to try one out too.




This was one of the few happy moments for Luke when he found himself this great new "stick." The experince ended in tragedy when he tripped over the rock on the left side of the picture just a few moments later.





6 comments:

AnnGee said...

I'm sorry that it turned out to be such a bad trip. But sometimes our worst moments create the best memories. I still want you to send me those videos of coco & lili talking to us! Love ya tons!
~AnnGee

KristiKay said...

I guess you realize that life is never boring with kids around! Someday, maybe even today, you'll laugh your head off about kneeling in that sick outhouse trying to keep Lilly from touching anything. I have to say (sorry) but I kind of laughed at the thought. That would really stink.
You are such a great person Jen, and not just because you're willing to kneel in an outhouse with your baby!

Jenni said...

Okay I admit laughed really hard when I read this post. How could you not laugh at such a family outing; the dog vomit, grumpy little boy, and the outhouse? Sounds like you guys were creating some pretty good memories
and you'll have to do it again.

Amy said...

Who knew dogs got car sick?

I'm with you on the outhouse (really any toilet area)...sometimes I just have to relax and not think about that stuff (being germs, etc.)

Nancy Page said...

Great pictures! Our dogs rarely get to go on outings with us outside the neighborhood for that very same reason Way to much hassel!

Nancy Page said...

Oh, and I bought a little potty for our car that stays in the car because we are in it so much. It's so nice to have and we have used it several times.(yes we do clean it after it's been used, but then it goes right back in the car.)