Monday, June 9, 2008

True Allens

I somehow sneaked passed the rule: To be an Allen you must be an avid swimmer. However, my kid have decided it is high time to redeem the Reed Allen family name. Since they found me a hopeless cause, they are hoping their sweet skills will make up for what their mother lacks. It has been fun to watch them be so brave and learn so much in only a couple trips to the pool. Here are a few videos to prove their true Allen status:

Reed bought them both these sweet floaty things that really helped. They make the kids do some of the work to balance and float (when we first put them on I thought they were really stupid because neither Luke or Lilly could say above water), but give them a little extra support while they are learning. By our second time to the pool with the floaties on, Luke and Lilly could easily go the length of the pool and back.



Uno, Dos, Tres (what Lucas would say every time to get himself pumped up to jump in). Lucas decided sometime all by himself that he was big enough to jump in without needing to be caught. Then he would just swim himself back to the steps to start the process all over again.




Lilly LOVES for her dad to throw her up high.



They both also figured out how to hold their breath under water:



This is the trick Luke and Lilly are going to work on next time. Haha.

7 comments:

Emilyjo said...

How fun! I can't believe what good swimmers they are. Where did you get those foaty things. I want one for Garen. Is that poo yours? And was that Reed doing the back flip-that was awesome!

dersley said...

To answer emily's questions:
1. Reed got the floaties at target and the brand is called safe t seal. I am a fan. I think they give the kids just the right amount of help to let them learn.
2. The pool is the HOA pool where we live right now. Since we are moving in two weeks we are trying to get in as much swimming as possible. We live in a retirement community right now and nobody else ever uses the pool, so it kindof does feel like ours. It is one thing we are really going to miss when we move.
3. And yes, that was my crazy husband.

Amy said...

They're little water babies for sure (only I guess they're not really babies anymore).

But what brave kiddos! I give Lucas a "10" for his daring jumps! Reed only gets a "9.5" on his jump--it lacked charisma. :) And Lily gets a "10" for holding her breath while swimming under the water with Reed. Very impressive.

I'll be sure to nominate your footage for an Oscar (didn't want to leave you out of the competition).

JoMama said...

That is so awesome your kids are so water brave! Jumping and holding their breath, they are such great little swimmers!

Madelyn said...

Those videos are so fun! And Reeds trick was sweet! When you guys come out we should all go swimming sometime, because we haven't gone swimming ONCE this summer! I'm excited for you to come out.

CAINS said...

Jen! Your blog is ADORABLE!!! I'm so jealous of everyone! I have no clue how to do this...you can tell from my blog. My hubby's so embarrassed for me. Your children are beautiful as ever. It's so fun to see them grow! I'm glad you commented. I never get around to finding people on here. You'll have to add me to your list of people and show me how to add you. My email is maderacasa@gmail.com.
Good to hear from you!

Abby

TJ and Jessica said...

Haha! Reed's trick was awesome! That would freak me out a little if one of your babies tried that! They are good little swimmers! So cute